Remembering Jan Schoute.


Sunday, Nov. 12th, The Red Dog played host to toast our fallen musical soul, Jan Schoute. This weekend marked 20 years since I first met Terry Guiel, Robin Hawkins and Jan Schoute in this very space, through my prior long-term relationship with Jerry Janke. I got to appreciate a different, more personal and passionate side of live music and the bar scene thanks to Jerry.  I would frequent Sat nights at the Red Dog to capture the musical stylings of Jerichos Wall, whom Jan was a member of.  Over the years I fondly referred to him as my philosopher king, he knew what needed to be said, at the right time every time. He knew what your heart needed and that was laughter, song, compassion, a hug, a kiss and lots of "I Love Ya Man," not necessarily in that order.  It was a pleasure knowing Jan's genuine nature.  I not only enjoyed listening to his wisdom but to his soothing voice on stage and on Trent Radio.  Peterborough's finest musicians entertained for 7 hours including The Weber Brothers, Tami J Wilde with Jamie Henderson and Brent Bailey, Rick Fines, Buzz Thompson, Terry Guiel, Terry's daughter Jasher Guiel, Jeanne Thompson, 3 acts that Jan was well known as guitarist and vocalist for -Tony Silvestri Band, Jericho's Wall & Bailen to name but only a few.  They lined up to grace that infamous RD stage and as the night grew on, the talent list grew to 50 deep. 


My gal pals and I arrived a few minutes behind and missed our dear friend, The Patio Daddio - Mr. Wylie Harold's performance, but, we caught up with him for a quick snuggle and hug hello.   100's of music lovers, (just like in the good old days) came from miles around.  Fans from as far away as Vancouver like dear friend-Gregory Ryan came to pay tribute to this musical heart who we so knew as 
Jan the Man and Jano.  
One song stood forward in my mind; unique as the songwriter, Jeanne L.Thompson.  She wrote and performed a song, on acoustic guitar, just for Jan entitled, 
"Behind Glass"
Where did you go?
I'd like to know
Where did you go?
loved you so

It's like I'm behind glass
It's like I'm behind glass
Do you see me anymore?
Do you hear me anymore?
Do you feel me anymore?
Where did you go?
I'd like to know
Where did you go?
I loved you so.

It's like I'm behind glass
It's like I'm behind glass
Do you see me anymore?
Do you hear me anymore?
Do you feel me anymore?

Where did you go?
I'd like to know
Where did you go?
I loved you so

It's like I'm behind glass
It's like I'm behind glass
Where did you go?
I miss you so.

His sudden passing left behind his son Isaac, daughter Olivia, wife Allison, sister Arin Blok, best friend Bruce Francis and many extended family members.   Jan's passing has left a void and inner darkness as we all mourn together the loss of our friend and kindred soul.   Jan’s funeral was held on Tuesday, November 14th, 1 p.m. at Living Hope Church.  Pictures of Jan, his family, his musical friends were on display as you walked into the center hall, which was filled with love, pure love and plenty of it.  Paul Rellinger & family members all shared emotional memorials, including a live musical version of the Beatles "In My Life" by Terry Guiel and The Weber Brothers.

Jan was deep, he was kind, he was passionate, he was raw, he always wore his heart upon his sleeves. He was generous, inviting, funny, talented, intelligent, dedicated and he was the medicine that you required when you had sore feet, an aching heart or you needed a jump start, that re-boost when you were lost, sad or just frustrated.  Peterborough not only lost a musician that was larger than life, we lost a treasure, a rare gem, that NO ONE can ever replace. Life is precious and extremely short, LOVE ONE ANOTHER, don't be afraid to tell those, that you care about, that you LOVE THEM, embrace your inner Jan.  
  













I reflect back to a memorable moment, I got to experience with Jan at the Peterborough United Church on George Street, Nov. 2nd, 2014.  We honorably gathered together to sing with the amazing Weber Brothers, regarding their hit, "I Still Believe."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0JVc8S9PaU  As you will see to the right or in the video, Jan, is standing tall in the center, upon the highest position on that pulpit, with his tambourine in hand, singing loud and proud.  I will forever, remember your humor that day, as you recited  "Romper Room's Magic Mirror" routine with your tambourine. I share this particular magical moment with Jan and 1 other gal, my best friend Reina.  I can still hear him now, ""Romper, stomper, bomper boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. Magic Mirror, tell me today, did all my friends here have fun at play?" further saying as he peered through his tambourine/make shift mirror, "I see Reina and Debbie," thanks Jan for the memories.  





























No comments:

Post a Comment